27.11.08

late to the party

I Stumbled The US vs. John Lennon yesterday, which was the first really in-depth look I've had at Lennon since the 11th grade, when I didn't appreciate him because of certain fangirls in the class. Well, that was my loss; the movie wasn't brilliant or anything, but it did what it was supposed to do in showing me what was so cool about Lennon in his later career. I've been listening to "Instant Karma!" in between breaths for the last 48 hours and I haven't gotten sick of it yet. Power to the people and all that. It really highlights the differences between the struggle against Vietnam and the one against Iraq. I think it kind of deflates the latter, but maybe I've just forgotten the energy of the height of the anti-war movement after seeing this movie. I think I'll go the Lennon Museum in the next few weeks; it's a half-hour ride from my house or something like that. Right on.

Who do you think you are? A superstar?
Well right you are.
Well we all shine on
Like the moon, like the stars and the sun.
Well we all shine on.
Everyone.

That's crazy beautiful. Like, tear-jerkingly beautiful. Or maybe I'm just a hippie. I don't know, I like the lyrics of Imagine but I don't like the song all that much. Instant Karma mixes emotion and poetry in the perfect moments and gets me but good, especially that chorus. Motherfucker.

No comments: