22.9.07

Eenteresting tidbit, one month in Japan.

So I usually spend 10-11 hours at work. I get in around 11:30 and, most days, leave around 9:30 or 10:00. I thought it was because Japanese companies work everyone to the bone--which they do. But as it turns out, they're a bit more lenient on foreigners. They just wanted me to find out for myself: teachers have one of two contracts: a 12-9 or a 1-10 contract, those numbers specifying the hours you're required to be at work. Well, I have a class that begins at 12, and a few that end at 10, on different days of the week. When I asked me boss about this on the first day, he gave me a kinda vague answer that, summarized, equated to "tough luck, guy." Whatever. I don't really have anything better to do. BUT LO, my manager yesterday told me that I'm a 1-10er, on all days except the single day I have a noon class, whereupon I'm 12-9.

So I get an hour more personal time each day. That's cool. And it only took me a month for the company to tell me directly. Not bad.

NOW IMA GO T'TH'BEACH IN SHIMODA. PEACE BE UPON YE, BROTHAS!

No comments: